Sunday, May 9, 2010

Gardening

So, this year I totally redid my garden. I swear I took some before or at least some during pictures, but I can't find them. They are probably on the computer that was fried. Here are the "work in progress" pictures. I must say I'm totally proud of my garden because it is the first time I've had a decent looking garden.
Above: the front view of the garden - I was trying to make what I had into a square foot garden. (hence the little squares.)
Below: The trellis I made for the tomatoes.

Above - This is the little section in front of the back door. There are some peas, strawberries and flowers there right now, but there are also some lovely weeds. We had it looking so nice with a bunch of rocks looking like a river leading to the drains we have there, however the other day Benjamin and Aaron decided it would be a lovely idea to play in those rocks and the mulch while I was over weeding the garden. Now it looks like a mess. Ahh, kids right?
Below: Our first casualties. I even put some netting over the tomato plant when I saw these getting red, but I didn't tie it down and the darn birds climbed under the netting and as you can see on the tomatoe on the left, they ate it from below. The one on the right was next to the other tomato and they must have had more room to stand up and eat it from there. I have to come up with a better solution if I want to keep any tomatoes this year. I'm thinking I'll have to put more netting down and brick the edges so the birds can't under it. That will probably be my project for tomorrow morning.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Irish Cream said...

I heard somebody once put red Christmas balls (or something similar) in her garden. By the time the tomatoes ripened, the birds were already conditioned to not peck at them because they were just another hard thing that wouldn't give them anything to eat.

I don't know if I think birds are all that smart, though... But possibly a cheap method to try.

Kimberly said...

That is simple and worth a try. I could at least put some out where they are easy to get to. We've had this problem for the last couple of years. I've got them better covered by netting right now because I have another one ready to turn red, but when I covered my strawberries one year (same problem) I ended up with 2 dead birds that got caught in the netting. This netting has bigger holes or I wouldn't even try it because dead birds were gross.