Sunday, December 13, 2009

Double stroller/sleeping woes

This post has a lot of background to go with the pictures.
First, the reason I have the double stroller - borrowed it from a friend so I could run while Brandon has been out of town for the past 2 weeks. I'm trying to decide if I want to run a marathon in February with my friends on running group. I really want to, I just don't know if I want to -make sense?? OK, I'd like to just as a goal and challenge for myself. Not sure I want to train over the holidays, or in the winter when it is cold if I have to take the boys with me. These past 2 weeks have been a challenge for myself to see if I could still get in all my miles while having a husband out of town. I managed it, but only because I had borrowed the stroller, and Tavio actually was home a few of the days, so I could run when I put Aaron down for a nap and only take Benjamin in the single stroller. I take my cell phone and just run around the neighborhood and tell Tavio to call if he needs me or if Aaron wakes up. I took advantage of those days to do my medium long runs. Brandon was home on Saturdays, so I got my long runs in strollerless - halleluiah. The single isn't bad, but the double is torture.
Second, both of the little boys have been pretty poor sleepers lately. (lack of sleep doesn't help to have running energy.) Benjamin was waking up in the middle of the night and staying awake once every other month or so - totally livable, one day of grumpy kid, no big deal, but lately he is doing it a lot. In fact, I'm blogging right now because I'm not at church because he was up from 3 to 6 or 6:30 last night and I just didn't want to wake him up and deal with a grumpy bear for all of church today. I figure when he wakes up, I'll feed him and go. Anyway, this day he had been up since who knows when - somewhere between 3 and 5 am. So it was my hope that both boys would fall asleep (Aaron had fallen asleep in the morning which he usually doesn't do, but hadn't had enough nap to keep him happy for the evening.) Benjamin wanted to go to the park, wanted to go to the park, wanted to go to the park, but about the time we made it to where we could see the park he conked. Yea for me. Aaron had fallen asleep as soon as we left. Anyway, Aaron woke up as soon as we got home, but Benjamin was out. I let him sleep for a while, but then Aaron wanted to play in the stroller/wake Benjamin up and I let him. Benjamin didn't want to be woken up, but Aaron sure wanted to do it. He loves the stroller and loves going for a ride in it. (even around the house.) He also loves to wake Benjamin up. I can't tell you how many times I had to go scoop him up as he ran to wake up Benjamin on the couch this morning (where he had finally fallen back asleep at 6 or 6:30 this morning.)
Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for sleepless children I'd love some. I've finally resorted to just setting Benjamin in front of the TV with nickjr. on and hoping he falls back asleep. I can get some sleep that way - he usually wakes me up about every hour for something or another. I don't know why he is waking up. He is still tired, but thinks he can't sleep for one reason or another. (Last night it was becasue his bed was "too bouncy." lol. I'm ready to take him to the pediatrician. Can't figure out what it is, but it sure messes with his personality when he is so tired. Not to mention mom's personality. I guess it is hard for everyone to be nice when they are tired. Must run. Benjamin woke up and has eaten his breakfast, so I guess it is time to get him ready for church and go. We may make it there for the last hour. :)



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

David and Emily Wilcock said...

Okay, that is really cute with Aaron waking up Benjamin. Spencer loves to wake up Jaxon, but it doesn't normally get to happen the other way around! :) As for the other, this is when I taught Spencer to read a digital clock. He wasn't waking up THAT early, but it is worth a shot. I taught him what a 7 looks like and I told him he wasn't allowed to come out of his room until that first number was a 7. He still came out at first and I would just take him back and show him the clock and tell him he need to stay in his room. Most the time he would just play until time to get up, but within a few weeks he would sleep longer.