Friday, December 4, 2009

Benjamin biking

Ok, so I posted it on facebook yesterday - "Best way to teach a kid to ride a bike - put on crappy training wheels, when they learn to compensate for the wobble, take them off -viola! they can ride the bike. That wasn't the point, we just couldn't find any other training wheels at the time, but it sure was easier than teaching the big boys and he is 1/2 the age they learned at." and
"
I've been saying I was going to take the training wheels off for a couple of weeks because I noticed he wasn't using them. I took them off today, he got on the bike and rode off. I didn't hold the back -nothing. Amazing. He is so big and tries so hard to keep up with the big boys that I always have to remind myself he is only 3." and
" We just got a bike with no training wheels, and the only training wheels we could find weren't very adjustable. (I've since seen better at multiple stores and can't decide if I should be angry or grateful.) One height they were ok some of the time, but most of the time they were lower than the tire causing it to roll around in circles like a stationary bike. The next step up was too high so it was pretty wobbly. It still caught him, just wobbled in between each side. Once he got better at riding, he just learned how to balance. I had seen that he was only hitting the training wheels when turning, and then only sometimes, so decided to take them off"
So, easy as pie I took the training wheels off and he rode away. No holding the back of the bike, no nothing. Today he kept semi-falling, but it is freezing cold outside and he was trying to ride just in the driveway. When I had him go into the cul de sac to take the picture he had no trouble.
It has been snowing a bit here, but not cold enough to stick, however the temp has been dropping. Says it is supposed to snow later. I'll have more video of kids playing in that if it does.

2 comments:

David and Emily Wilcock said...

Oh My goodness! He looks SOOOOOO big!!! That is just crazy!

Kimberly said...

He doesn't just look big, he IS big. 5T's. I just had to buy him a new jacket today because the 4t that I bought big last year hoping it would last to this year was too small. It is crazy. He talks up a storm and has a great imagination. I always have to remind myself he is only 3.