Sunday, August 9, 2009

Black canyon of the Gunnison and Aunt Leah visit

This is the second day of driving. We stayed with Cathy, Great Aunt Leah daughter, who lives in Montrose, Colorado. It was difficult seeing Aunt Leah. I remember her as a vibrant, fun loving lady, willing to speak her mind. She showed signs of dementia, and did not remember me. She kept asking about my mom, and how she was doing at her job at the bank in Denver. I know my mom lived in Denver, but did not know about working at the Bank. I discovered later speaking to my mom, she held that job when she was 17, living with Aunt Leah and Uncle Ed. After we said our goodbyes, the boys asked me why I was teary eyed and I explained how difficult it was to see her like this. The boys mentioned that it was funny how she asked the same questions over and over again. After seeing Aunt Leah, I drove the boys to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. I highly recommend the national park season pass, well worth it if you visit multiple national parks. The canyon was amazing, and we finally got on the road to Great Sand Dunes National Park, and then on to Amarillo. The trip on U.S. 50 was a great road, but a bit too windy for Tavio who needed dramamine. We then stopped at Great Sand Dunes National Park. The Great Sand Dune was impressive, but it was a once in a life time experience. Once you see it, your don't need to see it again for the rest of your life. Then we drove off the Amarillo. Later I will have to detail the Amarillo Paradox.



Brandon and the boys visiting Brandon's Great Aunt Leah

They stayed with Kathy - Aunt Leah's Daughter.

No comments: