Sunday, August 9, 2009

Amarillo Paradox

So to continue my blogging about the vacation. On Tuesday the boys and I went to see my Great Aunt Leah, at the nursing home. We could only see her at certain times, and when we were finished it was 11:30. We drove to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, and then drove 4 hours to Great Sand Dunes National Park. After seeing the park, we headed off to Amarillo. Since we got started late driving, we had lunch around 3 at Subway. Then the boys sat in the back and watched the movie Wall*E. I had not see the movie and listening to it while driving is painful. Not much dialogue and the boys did really describe what was going on. Then I let the boys watch a PG-13 Movie....that was a mistake. We made it to the New Mexico border and I promised the boys a good steak dinner. We decided to keep on moving and just have "healthy snacks" (that is my story and I am sticking to it) to tide us over for dinner. I made it to the Texas border by 10:30. We finally make it in to Amarillo near our supposed hotel just after midnight. Well the only thing open near the hotel, was a seedy, need tetnus shot verfication to step on the property, gas station...hmmm a potential bad dinner of candy bars and soda, or a family restaurant named Hooters. Hence the Amarillo Paradox. I went to the hotel and found the hotel was booked, and my reservation was not the next Saturday. Luckily I was able to call Kimberly, and she helped me find another hotel room down on I-27. I found a Taco Bell a mile down the road to the new Hotel. Yes I confirmed that Kimberly would have been very upset if I took the boys to that "family" restaurant.

No comments: