OK, I really wanted to post this on the actual first day of school, it would have made a much better post while I was feeling it, but circumstances beyond my control - my computer dying, and this laptop being stuck in chinese on blogspot sites - made it a bit on the difficult side. I finally got the thing off of chinese mode and could sign in to blogspot today. Yea!
This first day of school I was the most worried I've ever been. Both boys were going to new schools. Duncan was starting middle school, and I worried about him making it from class to class. Not to mention the fact that he threw up in the morning. I felt like a bad mom wanting to send him to school anyway, but I wanted him to go on the first day and be lost with all of the other sixth graders. He said a prayer and said he felt OK to go. I was more nervous than sending him to kindergarten. Of course he only went across the hall then.
Tavio was just plain nervous to be starting at a new school. He was very unsure of himself which is a side of him I haven't seen very often. I walked him in to his room to make sure he could find it.
You'd think that would keep my mind busy enough, but somehow I managed to think about me not working the entire day. It was the strangest thing for me not to be responsible for a classroom. I felt like somewhere I should and did have that responsibility. 11 years of teaching will do that to you I guess. Somehow I even felt like I should help the new teacher that took over my spot. I'm even more attached to Holleman and my team there being 6 years in the same room. I'm just so used to that being my job. Nice as it was not to have to do the first day of kindergarten, because that is one long and difficult day, it was stranger for me than I expected. Although, living through the last week getting ready for school, I have no idea how I managed to do it and work. I did have to register a kid for a new school, and I had to get one ready for Jr. High which was a lot of practicing, but it was a lot of work, with numerous appointments. Who knows how I would have done everything, got a classroom ready, and have a meet the teacher for myself and both boys. On yet another side note, Brandon is happy not to have a psycho wife this month. I'm usually so stressed out with everything that I'm exhausted and not very nice before school starts. He has enjoyed me having a more normal temperment.
The first day went great for both boys. I was happy. Tavio made new friends as I knew he would. Duncan had a great day, and was only late for 1 class. He was very excited to be in middle school, so everything went well. Of course the rest of the family ended up with the flu that evening making for quite the crazy day, but the boys had good beginnings to their school years and that is what counts.
No comments:
Post a Comment