Tuesday, October 27, 2009

bad bread, good bread

This was not a good day for bread baking for me. The first loaf was a whole grain hearth bread that I was supposed to be able to shape into whatever shape I wanted to. It was an involved process - made a biga and soaker the night before .... Unfortunately, it didn't hold it's shape. I thought the dough seemed moist, but having never made "Hearth bread" I thought - well maybe this is how it is supposed to be. I guess not. It sas supposed to be a boule (french bread type shape.) This is what it turned out like. Not to mention the fact that the bottom burned because it was so thin I guess. It was more like eating a biscuit than bread. On the bright side, it ought to make some nice bread crumbs if I cut the bottom burned part off.
Picture 2 is my second loaf of bread - no biga or soaker, just a regular loaf of bread - it also tried to flop on me. It seemed super dense, but I left it that way. Then it wouldn't rise, so after an hour and a half or so I added another teaspoon of yeast and about 1/4 cup of water and kneaded it by hand. It took it a long time, but if finally rose and turned out ok. It is actually quite a different loaf - has fresh ground wheat, rye, and some unbleached bread flour. Then for liquid it had oj, ground raisins, agave nectar, oil, and milk. I was just happy it finally turned out after my yucky, flat bread (not the yummy flatbread like the naan we've made.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: